Was it a surprise to you that the HR Manager, Keith was kicked out of the Big Brother house first? It was to me. As a big fan of the show, I researched the cast before the show started. I noticed that one cast member, Keith is an HR Manager and I was hoping he would come in and make us proud. I was ready to cheer on my fellow HR colleague in the game of Big Brother, however he was the first to get evicted.
Just as the show started rolling, I was interested in watching his game play and truly thought…this is what BB needs, he may revolutionize the game as we know it. However, before I could blink he was out of the house.
So, why was the HR Guy’s BB tenure cut short? The reasons for his abrupt dismissal correlates quite well with what can happen in a business setting. So, let’s expose Keith’s shortcomings…
1. He did not assess the environment
2. He thought it would be a cake walk because he “deals with human capital” all the time
3. He did not partner with his housemates
4. He was unable to react quickly to change
5. And finally, his strategy was to use his HR charm to get everyone to trust and love him
Well folks, this is an accurate description of the HR professional gone wrong.
All you aspiring HR pros, don’t follow in his footsteps. If you can avoid some of these pitfalls you’ll likely see a better fate than Keith.Share